Saturday, January 8, 2011

" ... and shine and shine and shine ..."

When I bought my PSP Model 1000 back in 2005, I also bought the game Lumines. Although there were plenty of great games for the PSP. The one I always came back to was Lumines. I know I'm not alone, former EIC of the now defunct Computer Gaming World Jeff Green has gone on the record several times referring to his PSP as the Lumines machine.

Fast forward to 2009 when the PSP go released. The compact, UMD-less successor to the PSP looked great and offered several things that I had wished the classic model PSP had, such as, internal storage and a better form factor.

There was a lot of controversy arround the launch od the PSP go as there still hadn't been announced a method to convert your old UMD games to a format that could be played on the new system (remember, it has no UMD drive). Sony had assured their current install base looking to upgrade to the PSP go that there would be plenty of games available for download via the PlayStation Store, but still no news on how to play all of your old games on the new platform.

So, when my new and shinny PSP go came, I fired up my PS3 to browse the PlayStation Store and much to my dismay ... no Lumines for purchase. Crap!

I checked the new PSP releases every Tuesday on the PlayStation Store and still, no Lumines. I bought several games to play on my PSP go, such as Final Fantasy VII, Hot Shots Golf 2, and a few others. It wasn;t untill several months had gone by when I read that my favorite PSP game is likely not ever coming to the new download-only PSP platform. Ugh.

Then, just the other day, I read that the PSP go had been hacked to allow you to play an ISO image of a UMD game. At last ... the thought of being able to play my favorite PSP game on the PSP go had been realized.

The process itself was surprisingly simple. Although not as elegant as loading a custom firmware as you could on the other PSP models, I was able to download a few programs and a save-file exploit and ... viola ... Lumines on my PSP go.

Now, This post is in no way any support of acts of piracy rather more of an act of civil disobedience as there is really no excuse for Sony not to have the entire PSP library available for download by now.

No comments: