Sunday, January 9, 2011

Surprise Hit of 2010: Video Games

Earlier, I went on to say that Mass Effect 2 was my favorite game of 2010. This time, I'm going to tell you about a game that came out of left field and completely surprised me.

Eye Pet is equal parts game, virtual pet and augmented reality. For use with the PlayStation Move motion controller and camera, EyePet turns your living room into a neat little playground for your virtual pet.

Overall, I was surprised with the fidelity in the motion control of the Move. I've been using the Wii for the past few years and have been unimpressed with the lack of preciseness in the motion control for the vast majority of the games on that platform. With PlayStation Move, the high-res camera and the glowing orb at the tip of the controller wand appear to make a huge difference.


My 6 year old daughter appears to be the target audience for EyePet as she has been obsessed with playing with it since I cracked it open yesterday. She spends the bulk of the time dressing up her EyePet and changing it's fur color and style. I can't say I object, the virtual pet is adorable, the gameplay is relatively deep, for what it is, and from a pure technological perspective, this game seems to be one of the most "next generation" experiences that can be had.

In all, The biggest praise I can give my PlayStation these days is that with titles like this, I see my PS3 becoming more of a family console now than it had been in the past 4 years I've owned it.

No comments: